Real People Stories – Fatima

Hello everybody! I also want to share my CA125 Test experience with you. And I am 49 years old; it all started in February 2023. However, I noticed a lump in my pelvis and immediately made an HPV test appointment with my primary doctor. Since I have fibroids in the uterus, he thinks it may have grown significantly. But to make sure, he asked for an ultrasound without waiting for the appointment. It had been scheduled in May with the gynaecologist.

They gave me an appointment for the echo on March 13.

The HPV sonographer who treated me sent me directly to the emergency room. He told me I prefer to be seen as soon as possible instead of sending the results to your CA125 doctor. And waiting for her to make an appointment. That made me think the worst. Now, in the CA125 emergency room, they repeat the ultrasound. This time transvaginal, and they informed me that a fairly large cyst had appeared. It was on the ovary with HPV papillae that made them suspect malignancy. They ask me for HPV variant analysis for tumour markers, a CT scan and an appointment for the 17th in the gynaecological oncology consultation and evaluation in committee with the tests.

My CA125 world is shaking. Coincidentally, my mother was recovering from tests and treatment and surgery for ovarian HPV cancer, and you think it can’t happen to you, too…

I went to that CA125 consultation with my sister because I needed support, and in that consultation again, an ultrasound and again the same information, very likely ovarian cancer.

However, it seems that there is nothing else. I have no fluid or other spots beyond the ovary. And they tell me this is good news. But the tumour markers have come out high. Hence, they already explained to me that we have to operate to remove everything, which has to be a laparotomy, which will also be in the operating room when they can confirm if it is cancer since it is not. They can do a biopsy.

However, the CT scan is missing to confirm the extension.

Thank goodness I could rely on my sisters, but I hadn’t told my mother anything, trusting that it wasn’t bad.

I had a CT scan, and they confirmed that nothing appeared beyond the ovary, although they did see a “little spot” on the chest and that they would do a mammogram. They notified me immediately of the mammogram and also completed it with an ultrasound and a biopsy. They reassured me by saying that everything must be evaluated before going into the operating room since the postoperative period is hard, and I will not be there for CA125 blood tests.

Finally, on April 11, he entered the operating room.

It took about 6-7 hours for the operation to confirm that the pathologist’s CA125 result was positive for cancer, and that is why they removed both ovaries, tubes, uterus, cervix, lymph nodes and the omentum; they did a peritoneal lavage to analyse HPV viral load too. They have also taken tissue samples that they will also analyse.

On the same day of the operation, in the afternoon, they woke me up to speed up the CA125 recovery, but I had no pain since they gave me the epidural so that I could “shoot myself.”

After three days in the hospital, the HPV Doctor came to visit me and confirmed that the breast biopsy was breast cancer. Seriously? But how can it be? The ovary wasn’t enough for me. They confirm that they are primary tumours that are not metastases, although it is rarely possible. Amazingly, I took it better than I had imagined. I had already had a hard time from the surgery, but I had another one ahead of me.

Three weeks after the CA125 Cancer intervention, I was admitted again for the chest operation; it was a tumorectomy with a sentinel lymph node. That same afternoon, they discharged me, and I slept at home.

In an HPV gynaecology check-up, they confirmed that both tumours are in the initial stage, and no structure or lymph nodes are involved. Still, chemotherapy will be necessary for the ovary because it is high-grade, and I will subsequently begin radiotherapy for the breast.

Chemotherapy has been hard.

Although I knew what to expect, the bad thing about radiotherapy is that it is hard because it means going to the hospital every day.

Today, I went to the HPV gynaecologist, who told me the ultrasound was going well. And I have yet to go to the oncologist to continue with the follow-up, which has a good chance of remaining just a follow-up. I am still recovering physically since it has been very hard to go from having my monthly cycles with no signs of ending to having surgical menopause with what it entails, in addition to hormonal CA125 tumour treatment for breast cancer, which causes joint pain.

But I’m still here, standing and wanting to continue living.

Thank you all for sharing your HPV experiences. It makes you not feel so alone in this journey. You are all champions!