What is the Liver Cancer Tumour marker Blood Test?
AFP is a glycoprotein produced by fetal tissues and tumours differentiated from embryonic structures. The determination of AFP during pregnancy helps diagnose some fetal malformations: neural tube defects, renal anomalies, omphalocele, intrauterine death, and situations that lead to AFP values above the normal values for the respective age of the pregnancy. Determination of AFP is very necessary for the early diagnosis of liver cancers, being used as a screening method.
Why get a Liver Cancer Tumour markers blood test?
A high level of a certain tumour marker can indicate a certain type of cancer. It helps the oncologist decide what treatment or combination will work best for a certain type of cancer. Evaluate how well the treatment worked. Sometimes, tumour markers are used for screening purposes to help detect a certain type of cancer in people at high risk before they have signs or symptoms.
AFP: measures your AFP in your blood.
Instructions for use
Please take your sample in the morning. Take it at least one hour before any medication.
When you collect your sample, try the following tips:
- Drink plenty of water. Being well-hydrated will make it easier to collect your sample.
- Shower before you take your test or run your hands under warm water for a few minutes, as heat improves blood flow.
- Do light exercise (move around, walk, etc.) to get the blood flowing.
- Ensure your arm is below your heart level – let gravity do some of the work.
- Nails that are too long can make it difficult to collect a sample.
- Do not shake the sample vigorously but invert the tube gently 10 times. (gently swirl the tube after each drop of blood).
- Do not squeeze (milk) the finger.
- Re-warm your hands during collection where needed.
How our Home Test Kits Work
Order your kit online and once it arrive collect your sample at home.
Drop off the parcel preferably in the morning to get the earlier box clearances. Using the Return Track24 pre-paid label on each kit, drop the package off at the nearest Royal Mail Priority Red Box to return it to the Lab.
Once your results are ready, we will send you an email with your certificate.
How long do blood test results take?
The target turnaround time for the Liver Cancer Tumour marker Blood test is 1-3 working days. The turnaround time is a guide only and will sometimes depend upon assay run schedules.
Please take your test on a Monday to Thursday to avoid delivery delays at the lab.
*Test sold as part of the MOL research program. And the purchaser agrees to provide feedback data to MOL. This data is pre-authorised to be used anonymously in this research data program.